MFL at Great Meols
Our study of French and Spanish (predominantly using the Early Start resources) aims to enable pupils to:
• foster positive attitudes towards foreign language learning;
• listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding;
• explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words;
• speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures;
• engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; express opinions and respond to those of others;
• develop accurate pronunciation and intonation so that others understand when they are reading aloud or using familiar words and phrases;
• appreciate stories, songs, poems and rhymes in the language studied;
• broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary;
• write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, to express ideas clearly;
• describe people, places, things and actions orally and in writing;
• Appreciate similarity and difference in the world about them.
At Great Meols, children will learn French in Years 3 and 4 and Spanish in Years 5 and 6.